Work with us
Flexible time off
Be with family, treat a medical condition, take a vacation, and recharge. In addition to observed holidays, salaried employees are offered unlimited paid vacation.
Competitive salaries & benefits
Subsidized medical, dental, and vision insurance plans, FSA, and commuter benefits stipend.
A fun and challenging work environment
We value learning, creating and collaborating together—all while having fun. We foster diversity and inclusion, enjoy sharing meals together, and sharing ideas. And our office is dog friendly!
Senior Editorial Strategist
Message Lab is seeking a senior editorial strategist to join its editorial strategy and insights team. This individual will play a broad and critical role in Message Lab’s work to build client content strategies, while supporting the development of an insights-driven content strategy practice area.
Working with Message Lab’s editorial and operations teams, you’ll develop content, measurement and analytics strategies for clients, and work with them from onboarding and discovery through execution to achieve program excellence. You will play an important role in developing ongoing insights and analysis that come from these efforts, translating those into data-informed testing plans and evolving content strategies.
You’ll act as a capable strategist and researcher, willing and able to dive into new areas and topics—spanning editorial and activation—and help develop Message Lab’s point of view on what matters. You’ll also be a vital liaison between the editorial and strategic activation teams, ensuring that editorial products are properly positioned for audiences, audience journeys, channel growth, and to achieve performance measurement goals.
You will think critically about what kind of content our clients could benefit from—be it a blog post, video, infographic, podcast, or other audio material—and will work with external vendors such as writers, visual and motion graphic designers, and other necessary ML team members to make sure the work is achieving its stated purpose.
This position is remote and reports to the head of strategic activation.
What you’ll do
- Lead client intake and discovery alongside the operations team, and help craft up-front project strategies and plans. Analyze platforms trends and performance to facilitate opportunities for growth and improvement and provide data-backed insights in non-technical language
- Use your experienced editorial eye to make qualitative judgments about client content and publishing maturity that manifest in actionable recommendations
- Conduct positioning analyses of potential client competitors in the ideas space
Work with Message Lab analysts to refine and improve the monthly and quarterly reporting process and product —surfacing the “why” behind the “what”
- Define content flows and helping to build content strategies to meet client goals
- Plan and lead presentations to convey discovery and strategy to clients
- Evolve the discovery and strategy process at Message Lab
- Work with the editorial operations team to execute editorial experience best practices, and ensuring the strategic activation POV is integrated into editorial planning from the beginning
- Facilitate communication between internal Message Lab teams—strategic activation, editorial, design, and operations—to provoke innovation and effectively close the editorial feedback loop
- Work with audience development team to assess new and effective ways to measure the impact of audience engagement on content programs
- Collaborate with the rest of strategic activation to better communicate our team’s capabilities and the value of measurement, editorial analysis and experimentation
Who you are
- You have 6-7 years of work experience in developing digital marketing campaigns with exposure to and experience with executing strategic approaches across channels:
- Strategy experience: You’ve built content strategies for internal or external clients and understand how to help achieve outcomes and measure the effectiveness of plans
- Editorial experience: You approach content creation with a journalistic eye, have written and edited a lot of stories, and understand how to create content that resonates with people (not just drives sales)
- User journey experience: You’ve had a hand in developing personas based on qualitative and quantitative insights, and have executed clear thinking around user journey development
- Owned content experience:
- Blog/website optimization
- Email marketing
- Shared content experience:
- Organic social
- Email marketing experience
- Comfort with key tools*:
- Google Analytics, Adobe Analytics/Omniture, Mixpanel, Tableau, SEM Rush, Ahrefs, Google search console, MailChimp, Marketo, Buffer
- Content management or editorial tools: WordPress, DivvyHQ, CoSchedule, Hubspot, Percolate, Contently, Kapost
*We know…no one knows all of these. But these are the tools that pop up in our world and so we’re hoping you have experience in some of them and maybe even deep experience in a few.
- Strong presentation skills. You should enjoy presenting and understand the power of simplicity when communicating big ideas and multifaceted concepts
- Highly collaborative. You should enjoy collaborating with teams and working remotely (lots of Slack and Video conferencing), be an outspoken advocate for strategy and data, and be a technical problem solver with an interest in content and design
- Bias for action. The ability to course-correct and problem solve, and an entrepreneurial spirit — always looking for opportunities to evolve and expand valuable services or approaches
- Enjoy and appreciate the power of laughter in a fast-paced environment, with a positive, people-oriented, and energetic attitude
Web Analytics Manager
Message Lab is seeking a Web Analytics Manager to help us configure and implement analytics across clients, manage implementations, and build reports from analytics platforms through in-depth analysis of channels, audiences, audience behavior, and content consumption. We are looking for someone who understands the importance of data integrity, gets excited about creative tracking solutions, and has a strong point of view on process and is comfortable communicating data-backed insights to clients. Experience with editorial/thought-leadership content—and showing its effectiveness—is a strong plus.
While this role currently manages a function, it does not include management of full-time staff. The role is fully remote and reports to Message Lab’s senior digital marketing strategist.
- Help with or lead Google Analytics and Google Tag manager audits, updates, and new implementations
- Use Google Analytics and Google Data Studio to build monthly measurement and performance reports for client delivery
- Manage analytics accounts, tag management, and dashboard software and configurations for clients to ensure a high level of data integrity
- Have strong data skills – must be comfortable analyzing large quantities of data to create summaries, develop models, and extract insights
- Have exceptional quantitative, analytical, and problem-solving skills with the ability to draw insights and recommendations from analysis and present proposals to internal stakeholders.
- Be able to communicate data-backed insight in non-technical language that can be understood by all stakeholders
- Build processes for implementing tracking solutions or for configuring accounts that can be repeated
- Keep up to date on best practices and news in the analytics industry
- Recommend innovative tools, techniques, or metrics that would enhance our strategic knowledge or product offering
- Be comfortable delivering on deadline while working remotely
- 5+ years experience with either Google Analytics
- 3+ years with a tag management system such as Google Tag Manager
- 2+ years experience with Google Data Studio
- 2-3 years developing reports for internal and external stakeholders
- An understanding of digital marketing channels and their implications on data
- Experience with or interest in applying analytics best practices and tools to measure the impact of top-of-funnel publishing activities (content) on business outcomes
- Strong communication skills and ability to present to clients
- Preferred experience
- Experience with other analytics platforms (Adobe, Mixpanel, Amplitude, Chartbeat, Parsley, etc.)
- Experience with BigQuery
- Experience in other marketing channels (owned, social and paid)
- Experience with BI tools of any sort (Domo, Tableau, etc.)
- Experience with A/B testing and experimentation
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and SQL
- Can visualize data well
- Can automate tedious or repeatable tasks
- Have previous work experience at an agency
- Proactively bring new ideas for the account to improve performance
- Effectively convey insights to the client
- Tie what’s happening in the accounts to the client’s business
- Build relationships with clients and partners
- Able to adjust communication style based on the audience
- Demonstrate leadership skills, which might include the ability to train, mentor, and help onboard clients and new team members, challenge existing processes, help bring new ideas to internal planning sessions, and overall be a self-driven learner and solutions-oriented team member.
- Embrace new opportunities to learn more about or test new measurement approaches, platforms, and technologies.
- Constantly improve upon your understanding of digital marketing beyond analytics and analysis.
What you can expect
- Competitive compensation
- Benefits including medical, dental, vision and vacation
- A growing team that is motivated to create high quality, industry-leading work
- A fun environment that includes lots of laughing and camaraderie
A fast-growing, award-winning content marketing agency that combines journalism, data, and design to create content that resonates with audiences. We’re based in Oakland California, with team members throughout North America.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.